What is Bone Broth?
You may have heard celebrities like Gwyneth Paltrow, The Kardashians, and Halle Berry credit bone broth for everything from defying age, avoiding stretch-marks, calming inflammation and plumping skin, but what exactly is bone broth?
Well-made broth, slow-simmered the traditional way, is real food in it’s purest liquid form. Brodo makes bone broth the traditional way the way our grandmother’s grandmother did. Meaty bones and organic vegetables are covered with water, simmered for 18-24 hours and hand skimmed throughout to remove impurities, yielding a deeply flavored clear broth that is equal parts delicious and nutritious.
Why Drink It?
Should you drink bone broth because celebrities drink bone broth? Perhaps, but, you should definitely drink bone broth because it’s loaded with health benefits. For centuries, cultures around the world have boiled bones to make broth, relying on this healing elixir for a variety of ailments. In recent times, scientists have learned more about the specific things within a well-made broth that make your body function better, things like gelatin, which improves digestion, strengthens joints and helps the body absorb protein.
A well-made broth offers all the benefits of meat without the bulk. Our broth is loaded with protein (7-10g per cup) and delivers it in a form your body can rapidly absorb.
In liquid form, these proteins are broken down into valuable amino acids like proline, glycine, glutamine, and arginine. Your body needs these important building blocks for healthy skin, bones and joints.
A steamy, rich cup of Brodo is one of the most comforting foods you can consume. Unlike other popular comfort foods, Brodo contains very few carbohydrates (5g per cup). You get all the savory satisfaction of Mom’s usual meat-and-potato staples, without the guilt.
A daily serving of our broth is so satisfying and nutritious that you might decide to skip lunch. Brodo works great as a meal replacement, even better than other drink-based diet regimens. Our broth has more protein and fewer carbs than green juice, and is less likely to cause blood-sugar levels to spike.
Brodo is one of the best things you can consume to maintain a healthy gut, which is essential to overall wellness. The gelatin in Brodo contains glutamine, which effectively plugs the holes in the lining of the digestive tract like spackle on a pitted wall. The gelatin in our broth also helps during digestion, making it easier to break down food and absorb nutrients.
Bone broth is a beauty product. Healthy skin requires collagen, a crucial protein found in the tendons, ligaments and other odd bits of the beef and poultry we use. When we cook our bones, that collagen breaks down into gelatin, which is easier for the body to digest. Drinking gelatin-rich bone broth is an easy and natural way to promote smooth, supple skin. It’s good for healthy hair and nails too.
It’s also a natural detox aid. The glycine in our broth supports your liver’s ability to remove toxins, ranging from pesticides and mercury to prescription drugs and alcohol. Glycine is also a key building block for glutathione, a helpful antioxidant for anti-aging, fighting chronic disease, and cleansing your liver.
The cold-fighting power of a good chicken soup is not just some old wives’ tale. A well-made chicken bone broth contains cysteine, an amino acid that has been shown to thin the mucus in your lungs and make it less sticky, so you can expel it more easily. A good broth also contains other immunity-boosting compounds like glutamine and carnosine.
Learn more about the nutrients in bone broth here.
Cooking the traditional way with real ingredients might sound simple, but it’s not. Our entire process, from sourcing to prepping to cooking to straining and serving, takes time and patience, and it costs money, but our broth is worth it. Chef Marco insists on sticking to our process because he knows it’s the only way to do it right.
- All our beef bones come from 100% grass-fed animals raised on pasture; they are free of antibiotics and hormones.
- Our poultry (chicken and turkey) are certified organic and raised on pasture. They are fed a vegetarian diet free of GMOs, antibiotics, chemical fertilizers, and pesticides.
- We are equally picky about the kinds of bones we use. To make a truly rich, complex broth, we insist on cooking with truly meaty cuts of the animal, not just bare bones. We intentionally pick brawny parts like turkey legs, chicken feet, oxtails, and beef knuckles that are best-suited for broth making.
- All of our ingredients are real. We don’t use concentrates, extracts, artificial flavorings or preservatives. We don’t take shortcuts of any kind.
- We put all these top-quality ingredients into the pot and fill with an almost equal amount of water. This 1-to-1 ratio ensures that we end up with the richest broth with the maximum nutrient density, unlike the typical watered-down supermarket variety.
- Every batch of our broth is slowly simmered for up to 24 hours. This lengthy cooking process allows us to extract the most nutrients and flavor from each ingredient.
- While each batch is cooking, we periodically hand-skim the fats and impurities that float to the top. In the end, this gives our broth a greater clarity and purity of flavor. Not every bone broth company takes this added step.