Who knew healthy habits could be so delicious?
The first thing you put into your body in the morning (or whenever you choose to break your fast) is what reintroduces energy, nutrients and turns on your digestive system after a period of rest. An empty stomach also absorbs more nutrients than when you’re full, so eating the right foods first can better set you up for healthy habits throughout the day!
The best way to break your fast is with low-carb, low-sugar, high-protein foods – making bone broth perfect way to start your day! As with intermittent fasting, this actually giving your digestive system an extended break. We often forget how much energy is required to chew, digest and process our food intake. It may seem counterintuitive but eating less solid food for a period of time can actually result in having more energy.
Brodo is also the perfect complement to some additional protein and healthy fats. The gelatin in bone broth helps the body assimilate protein, so a little eggs or meat go even further when served up with (or in) a mug of broth. Try scrambling an egg into hot broth, or adding kale or spinach. For some healthy fats, consider adding some high-quality butter or ghee blended in. This protein + fat approach as your first meal also helps you keep a steady blood sugar level which equates to steady energy throughout the day.
Our Founder & Chef, Marco Canora, developed a few easy, portable and delicious recipes for you to try at home. You’ll be amazed what a difference it makes when you start your day with nourishing and easily digestible foods! Give them a try, and let us know what you think!
Broccoli Blender Soup AKA Warm Winter Smoothie
Chef Marco’s wife Amanda loves to start her day with this broccoli smoothie!
- 1½ cups broccoli (fresh or frozen)
- ½ lemon
- 2 Tbsp EVOO
- 2in knob of ginger
- Pinch of sea salt
- 2 cups Chicken Brodo Bone Broth
- Put all ingredients into a small pot and stir.
- Cover & bring to a boil, then let simmer for 5-7 minutes
- Pour contents into a blender and blend until smooth
- Enjoy with a spoon and bowl or drink it from a mug or thermos!
A Better Breakfast
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tsp freshly ground turmeric
- 1 tsp grass-fed butter (or healthy fat of your choice)
- 12oz of your favorite Brodo Bone Broth flavor
- Put everything into a large cup and mix using an immersion blender, whisk or buzzer. Done and done!
For more recipes, visit the Brodo blog!