Inspired by traditional Vietnamese pho, try this Whole30 approved recipe for starch-less beef noodle soup.
INGREDIENTS – FOR THE BROTH
- 2 inch piece of fresh ginger, sliced in half lengthwise
- 1 star of star anise
- 1 large shallot, peeled and sliced in half lengthwise
- 1 piece clove
- 1 cinnamon stick
- Juice of one lime
- 1.5 Tablespoons of fish sauce
- 1 22oz container of Brodo beef broth
INGREDIENTS – FOR THE GARNISHES
- 1 green Thai chili, thinly sliced
- 1 bunch of scallions, thinly sliced
- 1 cup bean sprouts
- 1 bunch of cilantro
- 1 bunch of mint, stems removed
- 1 bunch basil or Thai basil, stems removed
- 1 package or approx. 3-4 cups of any veggie noodle you like, such as rutabaga, sweet potato, zucchini, butternut squash, etc.
- 8 oz beef sirloin or chuck, thinly sliced and pounded even thinner with a meat tenderizer.
- Lime wedges to taste
- PREHEAT a cast iron pan (or black steel pan) over high heat until very hot.
- PLACE the ginger and shallot into the pan, cut side down. Press down with a spatula until a black char is achieved (anywhere from 1-4 minutes depending on how hot you get the pan).
- REMOVE ginger and shallot from heat and set aside.
- ADD star anise, cinnamon and clove to the pan. Shake around for 30 seconds, then remove everything from the pan and set aside.
- PLACE charred ginger, shallot, and spices into a 2 quart pot. Cover with Brodo beef broth and bring to a boil over high heat.
- REDUCE heat to a simmer and cook for 20-30 minutes, then stir in juice of one lime and fish sauce.
- GATHER all garnishes onto a plate.
- PUT your veggie noodles into another pot and strain your broth over the noodles.
- SIMMER until noodles are tender to your; time will vary depending on the veggie you choose. Check for tenderness every few minutes until the noodles are cooked to your liking.
- ASSEMBLE your bowls. Divide the sliced beef and the noodles evenly between two bowls.
- BRING the broth to a boil and pour half into each bowl (very hot broth is critical, as this will cook the sliced beef)
- GARNISH with as much or as little of the garnishes as you like.