Everything in this recipe is made from scratch, and it is delicious. The homemade crust needs at least two hours to set up in the refrigerator. If you don’t have time to make a crust fully from scratch, you can use your favorite refrigerated store-bought dough as a shortcut.
INGREDIENTS – FOR THE CRUST
- 2 1/2 cups (340 grams) whole wheat pastry flour
- 2 sticks (228 grams) cold butter, cut into ½ inch cubes
- ½ cup + 1-3 Tbsp. (132 grams) ice cold water
- 1 Tbsp. fresh rosemary, finely chopped
- Zest of one lemon
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- ½ tsp. kosher salt
- Freshly ground pepper
INSTRUCTIONS – FOR THE CRUST
- COMBINE flour, rosemary, lemon zest, garlic powder, salt and pepper in a large bowl. Gently whisk to combine.
- ADD the butter.
- COAT the mixture with flour and then cut the dough together with a pastry cutter, or use your fingers to pinch the butter into the flour (be careful not to stretch or work the dough too much!).
- ADD ice water, fold and press together until a dough forms.
- SEPARATE the dough into ⅖ and ⅗ pieces. The larger piece will become the bottom of your pie.
- WRAP each piece tightly with plastic wrap. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours, or overnight.
INGREDIENTS – FOR THE FILLING
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken thighs cut into one-inch pieces
- 8 oz. cremini mushrooms, quartered and sautéed
- 1 cup yellow onion, finely chopped
- ½ cup carrot, finely chopped
- ½ cup celery, finely chopped
- ½ cup frozen peas
- 5 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 bunch flat Italian parsley, finely chopped
- Juice and zest of one lemon
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 22-oz. container Brodo chicken broth (or Brodo hearth broth)
- 3 Tbsp. olive oil
- 3 Tbsp. butter
INSTRUCTIONS – FOR THE FILLING
- PREHEAT your oven to 375 degrees.
- HEAT 3 Tbsp. of olive oil over high heat in a large skillet until the oil shimmers.
- SEASON the chicken with salt and pepper. In a single layer, add the chicken to the skillet and brown on all sides. Do this in batches if necessary – you do not want to overcrowd the pan. Once completed, set chicken aside.
- ADD 3 Tbsp. of butter into the same pan, plus onion, carrots and celery. Season with salt & pepper and sauté over medium-high heat for 3-5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- ADD cooked mushrooms and garlic. Sauté for another 3 minutes.
- ADD flour and chicken. Stir to combine and cook for another 2 minutes.
- ADD cream and Brodo broth. Bring to a boil and simmer on low-medium heat for 5 minutes.
- ADD lemon juice and zest, plus peas and parsley. Adjust the salt & pepper to taste and let cool for at least 30 minutes. Your filling should be thick but not gloopy.
- ASSEMBLE your pie using the refrigerated dough. Place the larger piece of dough on the bottom of the pie pan, and spread filling over evenly. Cover the filling with the smaller piece of dough and seal the edges by crimping with a fork.
- CUT steam holes on top of the crust, and bake in the oven for 30 minutes until the tops are golden brown.