Chef Marco Canora’s recipe for a French classic, made even more luscious with the rich flavors of Brodo Hearth Bone Broth.
Serves 4 to 6
- Whole 3-4 lb chicken, thighs & wings cut in half and breasts cut into quarters (use entire bird with bones and all)
- 1 lb crimini mushrooms, stems trimmed and rinsed
- 1 large Spanish onion, large diced
- 4 carrots, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 22oz container of Hearth Bone Broth (or Chicken Bone Broth)
- 1/2 bunch fresh thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 6 cloves garlic, peeled and smashed
- 3/4 bottle of dry red wine
- 3 tbsp butter
- 3 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 5 tbsp extra virgin olive oil, plus more as needed
- salt and pepper to taste
1. Sauté the mushrooms in 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil, salt, and pepper. Cook the mushrooms until they release all their liquid and take on a bit of browning (10-12 minutes). Set aside
2. Season the chicken pieces with salt and pepper on all sides. Heat a sauté pan over medium-high heat and add 3 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil. Brown the chicken on all sides (do this in batches and don’t overcrowd). Add more oil as needed – there should always be a 1/2 inch layer of oil in the pan.
3. Once chicken is browned, add garlic, fresh thyme, bay leaves, and the rest of the chicken to the pan and stir.
4. Add the wine and shake the pan. The pan should be very hot and the wine should come to a rapid boil. Make sure all the chicken gets bathed in wine. Set aside.
5. In a braising pan or large shallow pot, melt 3 tablespoons of butter over medium-high heat. Add onion, carrot, salt and pepper. Sauté for 3-5 minutes then add 3 tablespoons of all-purpose flour. Stir to coat and sauté for another 2 minutes.
6. Add the browned chicken (including the wine and drippings), the mushrooms, and the Hearth broth.
7. Stir and set to a simmer. Cover, but leave the lid slightly ajar, and cook for 2 hours – gently stirring every 30 minutes.